2016 Mega Drive Championship

Epic 16-bit awesomeness
the plumb

Re: 2016 Mega Drive Championship

Postby the plumb » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:00 pm

I swung by a market stall selling retro games the other day. Their megadrive titles were up at £7-£10.
I almost had a heart attack.

Lord Dilks
Site Admin

Postby Lord Dilks » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:49 pm

I remember when people couldnt give them away!!

Commander Graham

Postby Commander Graham » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:14 pm

I guess I ought to come along!

Lord Dilks
Site Admin

Postby Lord Dilks » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:26 pm

Commander Graham wrote:I guess I ought to come along!

Welcome Commander Graham!

I have been meaning to contact you - shall we arrange some Mega Drive action between me, you, Baron von Hooton and Princess Charlene?

Mr Smith
Site Admin

Postby Mr Smith » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:37 pm

Commander Graham wrote:I guess I ought to come along!

That's my opinion too :lol:

the plumb

Postby the plumb » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:49 am

Lets be avvin you then?

Summer perhaps? Pick a Sunday in July and go for it? Heck it's not like planning a wedding for zool's sake

Lord Dilks
Site Admin

Postby Lord Dilks » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:18 pm

There are just a few issues for Mr Smith and I to sort out, we hope to have a date announced in the next month.

Martinoshea

Postby Martinoshea » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:13 pm

Hi all. A few of the irish lads are interested in coming along. 3 so far.

We recently had a street fighter tournament. If we wrote up a report would it make the website?

I am getting married at the start of July and will be out of action until mid July but depending on the date of the tournament I will come along

Lord Dilks
Site Admin

Postby Lord Dilks » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:31 pm

Martinoshea wrote:Hi all. A few of the irish lads are interested in coming along. 3 so far.

We recently had a street fighter tournament. If we wrote up a report would it make the website?

I am getting married at the start of July and will be out of action until mid July but depending on the date of the tournament I will come along

Greetings Martin!

Good to hear from you, and great to hear that a selection of the Irish lads are interested in coming over and participating at the next tournament! Currently we have no fixed date for the event, but hope to have this in place over the next few weeks or so. With luck, it should be on a date that allows you to come and take part, without impeding on any of the wedding plans.

Keep checking back on here (and on our facebook page) for updates on this, however I will also message you personally when we have the concrete date in place. Who else is interested in coming?

I am sure if you knock up an article regarding the Street Fighter tournament, it could be represented on the website. It is good to see Mega Drive Championshippery (I am of course assuming this tournament was on a Mega Drive - and not a SNES!!) is alive and well in Ireland!

My best.

Earl Holbrook

Postby Earl Holbrook » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:46 pm

Any dates yet?

Mr Smith
Site Admin

Postby Mr Smith » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:28 pm

We aren't supposed to be giving information away at this point, but it will be at the end of July.

Mr Smith
Site Admin

Postby Mr Smith » Tue May 31, 2016 6:44 pm

Sunday 31 July 2016 will be the date of the 26th Mega Drive Championship.

The event will be held at the National Videogame Arcade in Nottingham city centre as part of their Sega weekend.

All are welcome to engage in 6-hours of the most intense 16-bit action in the known universe, in what we imagine will be the most awesome Mega Drive Championship to date.

Earl Holbrook

Postby Earl Holbrook » Tue May 31, 2016 8:27 pm

Hi Dan,

It's nice you've been able to tie it in with another event.

Can you give us an idea of how this will be different to previous events, given the change of venue?

Looking at their web site, there is an entry fee to get into their arcade, will we need to pay this to use the area your consoles are going to be? Are we even going to use your consoles? Or is this Sega weekend a different arrangement to their normal entry system on their web site.

They seem to have a café, but it only serves drinks of various sorts and toast, thats it. Are we going to be allowed to have our own catering that we can chip in for, or is that out the window?

http://gamecity.org

Mr Smith
Site Admin

Postby Mr Smith » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:04 pm

Addressing some of the comments that have been made since the announcement of the 2016 Tournament and being hosted at the NVA.

Firstly the change in venue is just that, a change in venue, the NVA have no direct involvement with anything Mega Drive Championships related and the competition will be run and organised in exactly the same manner as before (e.g. North Korea style, but a little less cuddly). The competition will be run on our Mega Drives, using our games and by our rules. Nobody at the NVA has any involvement or influence over these things.

The Mega Drive Championship will be held in the free part of the museum, which also includes the cafe so people will be able to buy me and Chris coffee, however, anybody who wishes to wander around the numerous floors of video game history will have to pay to access this. It is actually a very worthwhile and interesting collection. We do intent to charge for entry to the tournament itself, however, this will be in the usual £5 - £10 mark per person to cover costs of trophies and food and is subject to ongoing discussions with the NVA.

The tournament structure will be changing to accommodate an anticipated increase in participation that will come from hosting the event in a central location. A league structure is impractical for this and we want everybody participating to have the chance to win the competition. We are incorporating some of the ideas used for the now defunct European Mega Drive Championships and we will be amalgamating the league and challenge competitions into something resembling more of a Mega Drive Olympics. A diverse selection of games will be used with each title 1-players, 2-players and group battles should see a constant stream of action. Instead of league divisions, a leaderboard will be used, and the player with the most points will become the Champion. We are still debating whether or not to keep a straight 2-player head-to-head knockout competition going at the event.

There is no parking at the NVA, however, there are car parks in Nottingham city centre and metered parking is often cheaper on Sunday, especially around Nottingham Trent University campus.

KingRichard

Postby KingRichard » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:03 pm

So when do you think, you will have a list of games that will be played?

Mr Smith
Site Admin

Postby Mr Smith » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:37 pm

The nine games for the 2016 Mega Drive Championship are:
World Cup Italia '90 - 2 players, head-to-head knockout
Sonic 2 - 1-player speedrun, Mystic Cave Zone 1
Golden Axe 2 - 1-player duel mode
Super Street Fighter 2 - 2-players, head-to-head knockout in elimination (not versus) mode
Streets of Rage 3 - 2 player head-to-head knockout
Mega Bomberman - Multi-player elimination
Virtua Racing - 5 laps beginner track, fastest single lap leaderboard
Micro Machines: Military - Multi-player elimination
Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine - 2-players, head-to-head knockout

We have planned for 6-hours of awesome at the NVA in Nottingham! As this is both a 15-year celebration of the original Mega Drive Championship in 2001, we have gone with mainly historic titles, but have revamped how the games are played in the hope of maximum purity.

Earl Holbrook

Postby Earl Holbrook » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:29 am

Hi Dan,

Can I just ask, as I don't see it mentioned here, what time so we start on the Sunday?

AFAIK, the free part of the musuem is open 10:00-18:00 most days? (but open much later others)

aberdeenlad

Postby aberdeenlad » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:52 am

Well, it only took me 15 years, but I'll be there lol

Btw, what games were used at the, last championships?

Tobias Berg

Postby Tobias Berg » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:17 pm

I was hoping someone would write an article about this galactic battle. Am I in for a big disappointment?

Return to “The Mega Drive Championships”